Welcome to authentic PRADA purse buying guide brought to you by Dream Luxury Philippines. This guide contains information to help you find that perfect authentic Prada bag you have always wanted or to authenticate a bag you already brought. I hope you'll find this guide useful and happy shopping!
Want FREE authentication for Burberry or Prada purses? Check my website. Please don't e-mail me with authenticity questions through "ask seller a question" as the eBay message system is only for eBay related business. Thanks!
Please be aware that there are a dishonest sellers on eBay that sell fake and OEM bags. There is nothing we can do about it per ebay but we need to be coutious and request authentication services from trusted sellers.
Prada is famous for their innovative use of a wide variety of very high-quality materials for their handbags. Below is a list of those materials.
- Bufalo - Buffalo Leather
- Canapa - Canvas
- Cinghiale - Wild Boarskin
- Coccodrillo - Crocodile
- Daino - Deerskin
- Feltro - Felt (usually wool)
- Lucertola - Lizard
- Nappa - Full Grain Leather
- Pelliccia - Fur
- Raso - Satin
- Saffiano - Textured Leather
- Scamosciato - Suede
- Spazzolato - Polished Leather
- Struzzo - Ostrich
- Tessuto - Woven Microfiber
- Vela Sport - Nylon
- Vernice - Patent Leather
- Vitello - Calf Leather
Most purses have the Prada triangle logo outside, usually in the center on the front or on the side; some style will have the logo affixed in the back.
Below is a few things you need to know about the logo:
It should be attached securely on all three corners to the bag. If you you run your fingers across the logo, you should be able to feel that the letters and symbols on the logo are slightly raised.
The color of the enamel on the logo must match or be very close to the color of the purse. The logo itself have a nice thickness to it.
The placement of the letters, their size and spacing are all proportionate to each other. Some style of bags will have Prada embossed on the bag instead of the usual and very popular Prada triangle logo.
Some important things about the interior plaque:
- It have to be firmly attached to the lining on all sides.
- You will be able to feel a piece of backing material underneath the plaque.
- All four (4) corners have to be rounded.
- The color of the enamel on it must match or be very close to the color of the lining.
- The color on the rim of the plaque (gold or silver) must match the color of the hardware of the purse.
- The placement of the letters, their size and spacing are all proportionate to each other.
- Prada wallets will have Prada - Milano embossed on one side and Made in Italy on the other side. All wallets are lined in either textured leather (Saffiano) that is excellent at resisting wear and tear or smooth Calf Leather (Vitello).
Prada bags are lined in the following types of lining material:
- Prada signature fabric (usually in black or coordinating color with the word Prada and a symbol that looks like a sideway letter S woven throughout.)
- Smooth calf leather (Vitello)
- Satin (Raso)
Most Prada bags will have one of the following type of interior compartment:
- Zip compartment
- Patch pocket
- Patch pocket with a snap button cover
- Some nylon bags have a cellphone holder on the outside.
If you are looking to sell or consign your designer handback at good price, please check out my online stores below. Also, contact me if you want to pawn your designer handbag.
Hardware used in Prada products comes in three colors.
- Rose color gold-toned
The bag's hardware will have one of those colors, never a combination of both or all colors. Hardware on authentic bags is marked with the word Prada very cleanly (the embossing on counterfeits looks messy and not clear at all).
Prada products will have zippers from one of the brands listed below or a combination of them.
Lampo (with & without the lightning bolt)
In some purses and cosmetic bags the zippers will not have the engraving as pictured above but the zippers should have marking on them that indicates they are from one of the five zipper brands as listed above. Newer bags used mostly metal zippers on the outside and inside. Older bags used plastic zippers on the inside.
Authenticity Card & Box
All Prada products purchased from retails establishments such as Saks, Neiman Marcus or Prada boutique should come with:
- Authenticity card
- Care booklets
- Dust cover (bag)
The color of the authenticity card(s), envelope(s) & box(es) is a very dark purple color with Prada embossed on it in glossy but matching tone.
Prada bags come with a white cotton dust cover (that looks and feel like flannel) with the Prada logo embossed on the front in black with drawstring closure. Some Prada accessories come with a clear plastic bag with black nylon drawstring and Prada embossed on it. Older dust covers color is navy blue with Prada printed in gold color ink.
ATTENTION: I only vouch for the items listed by me under my Dream Luxury Philippines because I personally guaranteed the authenticity of all the merchandise in my store. Whatever listed under items from eBay sellers are NOT from me and do not have my endorsement whatsoever.
DISCLAIMER: This page is for reference only and was written in an effort to combat the sales of counterfeits on the Internet and to help buyers in their quest to obtain a new or gently used Prada bag on eBay or elsewhere. I am NOT affiliated with Prada in anyway.